IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

RE: [Aroid-l] Seed Germination
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.11.27 at 23:18:34(12433)
>From: "Craig Presnell"
>Reply-To: Discussion of aroids
>To: "Discussion of aroids"
>Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Seed Germination
>Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:40:15 -0500
>

Hello Craig,
You did my old heart good, the chickens have come home to roost, so to speak. The original collection of seeds that produced the parents of your plants ( that you got from our mutual friend Richard) were collected in Nariva swamp of the E. Coast of Trinidad, W.I. by my elder brother Hans who still lives in Trinidad, Richard and myself are old friends dating back many years, he is a great guy. I`m just glad that both his and obviously your plants of this wonderful genus are doing so well, his are the size of the parents, I get such a thrill when I visit him and see the size of his! We still are not certain how his are pollinated, as big bees and scrab beetles are the pollinators in their native habitat, but they smell sop fragrant I`d not be surprised if SOME insect is attracted to them at anthesis. There is a
dwarf clone of Montrichardia in Florida that I collected years ago, Charlie Mc Daniel has it, no taller than 5 ft., thin as your finger and blooms at this size.
So glad that I solved this one! Thanks for the info. By the way, the seeds are good eating when roasted according to Pete Boyce who ate them w/ the natives in Brazil. The infructesence looks like a small, really knobby pineapple
Good Growing,
Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.