IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?
From: RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com on 2004.11.30 at 01:54:49(12451)
Deb,
The ones that I do dig for storage dont have any signs of damage from pests although I have seen some of my Alocasia get chomped on by what I thought was grubs. Originally I had one plant of Colocasia gigantea, which was planted by itself in a large bed and left to grow huge in its first year. The following years it has produced dozens and dozens of pups and I have left them to grow up next to the Momma plant, only thinning occasionally when it gets too crowded. Maybe all the plants are competing for water/nutrients and thus not getting as big. I have transplanted several bulbs to different parts of the yard, but they dont seem to quite that big anymore either. Strangely, that same summer I got 7-8 foot Xanthosoma violeceum and an Ensete almost 15 foot tall (cant get them over 10 foot now). The soil gets a fresh layer of manure every spring, so Im really not sure.
Michael
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.