IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Alocasia chaii
From: Jason Hernandez mossytrail at earthlink.net> on 1970.01.01 at 00:00:00(12601)
The Alocasia chaii I purchased from Malesiana Tropicals are struggling. When they first arrived, I opened the package to find that each had grown a new leaf while in transit -- a completely white leaf due to the absence of light. My problem was to figure out how to give them adequate light for growth, without burning them. For awhile, I had them about one foot below a flourescent light fixture; but this did not appear sufficient, as the white leaves did not green up, nor was any further growth observed. So, with some trepidation, I moved them to an east-facing window, where they would recieve direct sunlight in the morning, but hopefully not all day. The move coincided with a series of partly-cloudy days here in Hawaii, so I had hopes that they might thus be able to adjust. Alas, they appear to have scorched anyway -- the good green leaves as well as the white ones. I really do not have much space for more elaborate arrangements than the flourescent light or the window (I have no outdoor garden, even)
. Is there any hope of saving these plants?

Fortunately, the Aeschynanthes tricolor appears still to be in good health.

Jason Hernandez

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.