IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] black Anthurium
From: Riley2362 at aol.com on 2005.07.14 at 13:38:02(13176)
Hi All,
I'm glad to know a species name on the "black Anthurium" of "A. cabrerense", thanks Lynn. I have seen this plant growing at the nursery of Ecuagenera, in Ecuador and it does indeed grow in what orchid growers consider an "intermediate" house, not exceptionally cool (much as the temperature range that Ron gives), but not warm-growing like A. veitchii or A. warocqueanum. It grows in bright (equatorial) light and very good humidity. When I cultivate it in New York (non-equatorial) City light, I find that it likes some morning sun and ... very good humidity. I think it was Betsy Feuerstein who told me to keep sphagnum moss up around the neck of the plant to welcome the new roots. It likes a good roomy pot and when the plant starts to get "necky", I lift it up and cut off the bottom of the stem, then drop it back into the same pot with new moss around the top. This seems to keep it happily in a state of growth that encourages and maintains good leaves. Whereas it is alway
s in flower in the nursery (and a few of the flowers are small, but Ecuagenera selects and exports only the plants with the HUGE flowers) - flowering in New York City is ... occasional.
Cheers - Michael Riley

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.