IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Aroids: "Equal Opportunity" obsession?
From: ted.held at us.henkel.com on 2005.07.21 at 20:31:27(13209)
I have been a peripheral member of several hobby organizations over the years. Here are my limited observations for growing and cultivating type organizations on this topic:

African violets and gesneriads - women dominate, numerically
Cryptocoryne (aroids) - men dominate overwhelmingly
Tropical fish - men dominate overwhelmingly
Bromeliads - roughly 50:50, with a slight edge to women.

It would be interesting to know if these observations are general or if memberships fluctuate over different locations. This being an aroid list, we must have the records of convention attendance and overall membership for the Aroid Society.

It is also interesting to record here that I am a chemist. When I began, there were very few women chemists. The newer crops are coming in much more balanced. Maybe the membership populations of clubs also change over time.

Of course, there are passive members (my typical category) and active members. And there are joiners and loners. It is not easy to know, for example, if many men grow African violets but don't want to go to meetings where the members are all female. Or vice versa.

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.