IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus coaetaneus
From: ALLAN TETZLAFF <atetzlaff at rogers.com> on 2007.01.05 at 11:46:59(15038)
I had difficulties with mine as well. From the literature, that is common with some species when in dormancy. How I got mine through was that I put them in ziplock bags with farily tightly packed damp shagnum moss (after cleaning off all previous traces of rot). Sphagnum moss, when fresh, is used in orchid cultivation because of it's antimicrobial properties, among other things. At any rate this worked well (and has saved a number of other types as well). Once it started growing, starting out a new growing tip and roots, I planted it in a customary mix, watering a bit gingerly at first. The plants are now doing quite well and there have been no further issues of rot. I would caution about continued use of bark. That is used for orchids as well, but is generally allowed to dry quite thoroughly between waterings for orchids... which you cannot do. There is a white mold that commonly finds it's way into pine bark and I
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.