IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Anthurium seeds
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.10.23 at 00:54:44(16582)
Dan,

It is my believe the majority of us were more outraged by the theft of private copyrighted property in order to sell a product than anything else. And the fact those photos came from the IAS website made it even worse. A lot of people don't consider taking someone else's photo a crime. I do. And so does U.S. law. But when the stories that came back in email from the seller didn't add up, that added to the belief this was not an honest transaction. Several of us were sharing email privately about this entire situation. One IAS member was told the seeds were coming from South Africa and I was told they were coming from the United States. But the kicker for me was the use of a photo of a plant very similar to Dorothy Henkle's unusual Anthurium which appeared on Aroideana in 1989. A bunch of people on this forum have been looking for that plant for a long time including Dr. Croat. I found it extremely hard to believe someone would offer 5 seeds of that rare plant for $1.99 plus $1 postage. And if you
noticed, the seller was using the same species name with different photos of plants, some of which were not the plant advertised. The photo in question was not Dorothy's, it was (I believe) Neil's. But few actually have that specimen. So far, I've found two people on this board who very likely have one. Since others have been selling seeds on eBay, I haven't heard much of anything about whether or not they were honest. But this one just did not add up.

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.