IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l]
From: gartenbaureisenberger at web.de (Helmut Reisenberger) on 2008.03.02 at 18:57:27(17116)
Hallo Franck, hallo all,

I am enthusiasticly cultivating a wide range of aroids - mainly tropical foliage plants of alocasia, anthurium, monstera, philodendron and others - in greenhouses in Vienna, Austria. As I privately own a big garden with a couple of huge, old trees, I have some years ago started to transfer some of my most beautiful "indoor aroids" outside from middle of May to the end f September. For that I dig a hole in the ground, fill the bottom of the hole with gravel (for running off excess waters) and place the pots in it. I even do that with climbing species, which than cling on tree trunks, to be cut in autumn (it is always recommendable to cut back climbing aroids...). Then the plants go back to the garden room or in the living area indoors to overwinter. The only requirement is, to have a spot in the garden, where the plants are protected from direct sunlight and strong winds. It is amusing, how the plants appreciate this "open air summer vacation". Most of them develop surprising new growth.
As a journalist I also have published that idea and have got a lot of response. Of course it always was my goal to turn my zone 6 garden into a tropical paradise in summer. My aroids allow an almost unlimited creativity in exotic combinations.
I do not know, if you, Franck, only want to grow hardy aroids in your garden in permanence, or if you are interested to "stage" a temporary tropical flair.

Maybe this is also an idea for other aroiders in zones 8,7,6,5.....
I have to try to put some of my pictures, taken in my garden, in this forum, - so far anybody is interested.

Helmut Reisenberger

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.