IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] When is a rain forest not a rain forest?
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.05.01 at 07:49:39(17509)
Well, now I'm terribly confused! A note published on the Aroid l last night from Leo Martin, director of the Cactus and Succulent Society of America indicates Epiphyllum species are not rain forest plants. But they live in rain forests. "Steve - They aren't rain forest plants. I've seen some of them in Mexico. There are indeed cacti that are rain forest plants but Epiphyllum in general aren't, with the possible exception of E. chrysocardium. They are denizens of tropical deciduous forest. In other words, 4 months of summer rain, 8 months of no rain (but with normal nighttime dew.) Most (not all) of Mexico has this climate regime. I haven't been to Central America but there's plenty of tropical deciduous forest there too."

This dilemma appears to involve the definition of what is and isn't a rain forest. I've read many times in Dr. Croat's material these forests are known to have dry, moist and wet regions and I thought I understood that. But now it appears I am left to consider plants that live in the dry region not to be rain forest plants. I'm really confused and obviously have a lot more to learn. But, I am trying.

I spent a good deal of the night working Mr. Martin's note into the page and am doing my best to not take a position. I am not an expert and will not try to defend a position just because I don't understand all the ramifications. But this one is rattling my mind!

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Epiphyllum%20phyllanthus%20subsp.%20phyllanthus%20pc.html

Steve

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.