IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] ID on Philodendron
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.07 at 19:09:14(17793)
Marcus, I owe you a sincere apology! I was totally unaware of your incredible credentials. I am having some difficulty making physical characteristics of this plant match up with Dr. Croat's written description, but due to your extensive knowledge of Brazilian species will certainly tag it for now as another of the wide variations of Philodendron hederaceum.

This one has grown at three times the rate of any of the other 5 species variations I grow. The leaves are quite thin, no color onthe underside, highly glossy on the top and slightly matte beneath. The aerial roots are reddish and more widely spaced than all my other Philodendron hederaceum variation. The vein structure also bears little resemblance. But since I've done all I can to understand variation within species it becomes more and moe evident "anything is possible". And that's a quote from Dr. Croat.

I hope you know that from the moment I began my website almost 3 years ago my only goal has been accuracy within botanical science. As is overly seen on this forum, I am simply a student of botany and ask the experts for advice all the time. I also get in trouble when I try to give it! I would very much enjoy being able to add you to that list of experts.

And for those on this forum not familiar with Marcus Nadiz, here are some things to consider. Marcus has an extensive background in Brazilian botany as a result of his association with the Kew. He knows what the Brazilians call common species which may be misidentified or little known. He works at Rio Botanical Garden as well with a library that is filled with information. His participation on Aroid l should be greatly valued besides the fact he is fluent in English!

Marcus, please forgive my trying to explain anything to you! I simply was not aware of your stature within Brazilian botany. But I won't soon forget your name.

Just for the record, I receive at least 4 or 5 emails each week from some self proclaimed "expert" telling me the information on one or more of my pages is incorrect. And Philodendron hederaceum is at the top of the list! Almost everyone wants me to put up a separate page for P. scandens, P. micans, P. miduhoi and all the rest. The problem is I'd simply be redescribing the same species over and over! Almost always those "experts" turn out to be a plant collector who prefers to believe what they find on the internet rather than in a botanist's journal. I read these things until my eyes get sore! I will never be a botanist, although I wish I had started 40 years ago! But I deeply want to learn, especially about aroids. So information from people such as Marcus is highly valued in my untrained eyes!

Thanks Marcus. I'll go make a new tag right now and include the common name offered by John.

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.