IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Philodendron sagittifolium at female anthesis!
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.08 at 00:13:59(17797)

Here's the latest images.

These were taken at 6:30PM on Saturday. The spathe has now rotated to a 45 degree angle on the axil. It also appears to be slightly closing. I have read in some material the spathe actually closes around the beetles and they do the work of pollination inside the closed tube. If this is the case with this species, I have no idea since I'm simply observing. Anyone with more knowledge is welcome to fill in the blanks.

The pheromone is now only slight and no thermogenic heat can be felt on the hand. The scent is of a slight musk combined with a small amount of mint. I'm going to try for one more set around 10:00PM but I've been up for nearly 38 hours trying to capture this. Hopefully I'll get another good set. No female flowers can be observed as far as I can tell.

Steve

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.