IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Alocasia zebrina reticulata
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.06.21 at 18:26:48(17892)
Dear Enid,

Aloha.

About 1986, Roberto Burle-Marx, Betty Ho, Robert Hirano, and I went to the Philippines. Corazon Aquino just became President, and it was a wild time. Our host, Ronnie Lane was murdered a week before our trip and our new host was Dr. Vic Santos. There is an Alocasia 'Vic Santos' that we brought in for the first time. Vic made sure that we got all sorts of Philippine plants, including many Alocasia species...including Alocasia zebrina and several forms. Soon after our trip, Vic was murdered at his farm. I do not know much about Alocasia, but Bob Hirano does. Bob's collections are maintained at Lyon Arboretum and they will have records of all that was collected. Bob has retired and his eyes were messed up in a botched operation. If this forum does not come up with an answer for you, I can contact Ray Baker at the Arboretum and he may have some information on their BG-base data system. Another source of information may be at the Bernice Pauahi Bishop
Museum. They were involved in the Philippine Flora Project and I can contact Clyde Imada to see if they have any records in conjunction with this program.

I look forward to seeing what this thread reveals.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.