IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Monstera question..
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.27 at 20:36:28(17985)
I can't locate the email where the question was asked if anyone can post a positive source that Monstera friendrichsthallii is actually a synonym of another Monstera species. Here's a great way for anyone to find out for themselves. You don't need to be a technical person or have any training in botany!

TROPICOS is a service of the Missouri Botanical Garden and of course our own Dr. Tom Croat is right at the source. I spent a few hours with Tom in his office last week and although I've used TROPICOS almost daily for years, Tom taught me a few new tricks I didn't know existed. But this one is quite easily used:

Click on TROPICOS http://www.tropicos.org/

Type in the name Monstera adansonii, and click it, a few options will pop up. Click on the first one.

When that page comes up, click on "synonyms" at the top of the page.

Run down the list. I believe you will find the answer as to what the names of the synonyms actually are will resolve without any doubt. The answer being sought is the third listing. If you prefer the International Plant Names Index (IPNI) you can find the same information.

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.