IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Plant variation,
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.27 at 22:18:07(17987)
I don't think it is any "secret" on this forum that I get a lot of expert help writing the material I attempt to create for collectors via my website. We (I say we because a lot of people helped with this one) put up a new article on the website this week and I hope some of the newer members of Aroid l will find this one beneficial.

Dr. Croat sends me answers to my unending questions, sometimes daily. But so do Leland Miyano, Julius Boos and a lot of the regulars on Aroid l. Those of you who have joined this forum in the past year likely are not aware of the expertise we all are allowed to read every time a new set of posts come out. I have to include Pete Boyce in Singapore in that as well as several of the botanists and pollination researchers including Marc Gibernau in France, Simon Mayo in England, Alistair Hay in Australia and several in South America. not all answer all the time but when they do they always send in answers but almost never tell you about their professional backgrounds!

I personally consider Julius and Leland at the top of the list of my non botanist aroid pros researchers. But there are many more and if I try to list everyone I'll obviously leave some out!

Aroid l is without question the best place to learn about aroids other than the journals many of these experts publish. When you ask a question it is highly likely one of these experts will give you the correct answer. And by the way, I'm not a expert or a botanist! I'm a collector just like all of you.

I've been working for close to a year, perhaps longer, trying to understand variation within plant species. The subject can be tricky and I sometimes see posts on this forum (such as the ones on plants that are truly variations (synonyms) of Monstera species. That is why I've elected to post this link now. If you are new to aroids I hope this will answer some of your questions.

I've learned more from all the people who help me compile my website information than I'll ever be able to express. And I must include Aroid l regular Russ Hammer who owns an enormous aroid collection in Central Florida. Russ edits almost all my work and rarely gets any credit!

And by the way, if you haven't joined the International Aroid Society, please consider doing so now! You'll get more bang for your buck from the IAS than any "plant club". The information on the IAS website is verified and accurate. use it!

Dr. Croat just told me he can't find any technical errors in this one so I'm comfortable in hoping you will find it useful.

Remember, this page is a collective work, not something I sat down and created! Lots of people who know much more about aroids than i ever will answered my ceaseless questions. Hopefully, I creditd them all and this will answer some of your questions.

The article is entitled Natural variation within Plant species. Every leaf does not have to look alike!

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Natural%20variation%20within%20aroid%20and%20%20plant%20species.html

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.