IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] One problem with IAS - Discussion Forums
From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com (a san juan) on 2008.07.10 at 15:33:52(18132)
I think one problem with the IAS is that it does not have an "official" forum or discussion board. People have tried to start real discussion forums once in awhile (my own board, the current UBC board) but they all peter out and die sooner or later (or languish in a state of slow death), mostly because the regulars on Aroid-L tend to avoid them.

The Aroid-L mailing list is supposed to address this, but one thing I noticed is that the contents of the archive are NOT available to google search engine. ALL the enormous content from past times is thus hidden from potential aroiders. I encountered this when searching for P. x evansii information. All the hits I got where from other websites, and I had to directly go to the aroid-l site and do a second search there. This means that aroiders have to continuously tell people that there is such a thing as the IAS and that it DOES have a repository of very useful information in the Aroid-L archives.

Can we get it so google can search the aroid-l archives?

As an aside, other plant groupings have very successful discussion forums, for example, the Palm Society. The advantage of discussion forums is (1) The layout is MUCH better than email; (2) Topics are segregated into useful sections (e.g. Growing tips, General Discussion, etc); (3) You can upload permanent images into the threads; (4) It is searchable by google; (5) You can use smilies ;-)

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.