IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Intra-what--Structures on Mecon. Philo.'s rhizome
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.15 at 01:18:34(18151)
Dear all,

Aloha.

I am sometimes guilty of assuming people understand the terms that are thrown about. I use intravaginal stipules and intravaginal squamules interchangeably...but the term squamule means small scale and when it comes to Philodendron mello-barretoanum...these structures are significant. A taxononmist with the latest set of rules may be able to comment on this.

As far as medical afflictions go...there is a real danger of being cut badly by this species...which has sharp triangular intravaginal squamules that are floral dragon's teeth. They are about a half and inch long and very stout and stiff in my clone.

I should have also described these serpentine stems of Philodendron mello-barretoanum as vegetative anacondas versus pythons...since we are talking the Neotropics here. Julius, I was certain you would have picked up on this herpetological faux pas. I am glad to self-correct myself. Please excuse my foray into dragon fantasia. Julius,if the forum doesn't already know...is an amazing amateur herpetologist....among other things. Just do not annoy him at work.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.