IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Leaf unfolding
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.27 at 14:22:22(18261)
Dear Marek,

Aloha.

Convolute vernation is the unrolling of the leaves where the blade margins are curled inward towards the midrib. So, if your drawing shows the top of the leaf as the top of the illustration, it is upside down. In your photos, it would be rolled adaxially or toward the central plant axis. Contrast this with revolute leaf margins where the blade margins are rolled to the underside of the blade. Notice that I did not say revolute vernation. If we were discussing revolute leaf margins, your left image would be a cross section of this.

Involute simply means rolled along the longitudinal axis, so when applied to vernation or the unrolling of the emerging leaf, it resembles a shell spiral in cross section....as in your drawing.

I will not go into this, but, another type of vernation....which is seen in cycads of the genus, Cycas, is circinnate. I love watching new leaves unfurl.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.