IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] A little help with Anthurium regale
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.07.28 at 15:24:43(18270)

Ed, what you are observing on your Anthurium regale is normal. We have three specimens, all in a large 66cm (26 inch) pot that is 60cm (24 inches) deep. The potting media is very porous and drains quickly. Our specimens are misted every day for 10 minutes during the heat of the year via an overhead misting system.

In Peru, the species is capable of producing 180cm (6 foot) leaves. We have seen leaves develop up to 90cm (3 feet) and have had one plant produce a spathe and spadix. The base of our largest plant extends at least 18cm (7 inches) out of the soil but since we re-potted all of them in deeper pots it has become stable and no longer needs to be propped up. The plants are kept in dim light. Some on this board have observed much larger leaves by keeping a specimen in light that is not bright.

Personally, I would not advise adding more soil. You might want to consider cutting the portion of the plant above the soil that has aerial roots and repot it. In very little time you will be growing two specimens.

Based on observations by other growers, terrestrial aroids need more room in the pot to allow their roots to spread in order to remain stable. That fact was our motivation to move all three plants into a wider and deeper pot two years ago..

Betsy Feuerstein, who sometimes responds on this forum, likely has done more personal observation of this species in Peru than anyone I am aware of. She has given me a great deal of excellent advice on the species and I am in hopes she will respond to your question.

In the meantime, you might find the information I've been able to gather useful:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20regale%20pc.htm

One observation I made with Dr. Croat's supervision which is interesting is the species produces pollen basioscopically (from the top of the spadix down). Most Anthurium species are acrospopic and produce pollen from the bottom of the spadix upwards.

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.