IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Psuedodracontium , horizontal planting ?
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.12 at 10:32:44(18503)
Dear Michael,

Aloha.

I remember planting the long tap-rooted, monotypic genus, Welwitschia mirabilis in recycled terracotta drain pipes. There are all sizes of these and you can rebar and concrete a base with drainage on one end. The bell joint makes for a finished lip of sorts. I do not know how long a Psuedodracontium tuber can get...but these drain pipes can be quite long depending on the diameter. Since the ones I had were used...they were free. They can be cut with a diamond blade in a circular saw and drilled with carbide bits. If you are really creative, you can cover the outside with terrazzo with an acrylic binder...but that is a long, hard process...and can be beautiful or terrible depending on one's talent. The terracotta by itself has a simple charm...but that is a subjective opinion.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.