IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Cultivar registration latin alphabet
From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2008.11.23 at 23:02:49(18752)

Hi again,

Well, maybe I'm a "rebel" but I think that every language (using the Latin alphabet) should have an alternative orthography which allows to write correctly without diacritics and accents. For example in German there are national letters ä, ö, ü, ß and they use it commonly, but these letters can be replaced by "ae", "oe", "ue" and "ss" and this is used when they have no possibility to insert the diacritics (in mobile phones, foreign operation systems and the cultivar names too). In Norway there are 2 languages - Bokmål, with diacritics, and Nynorsk without them. I am engaged in a project APORT (Alternative Polish Orthography) which will allow to write correctly in Polish using only the Latin alphabet. We have 9 national chars, the work is almost ready but available now only in Polish.

In relation to cultivars it is very insuitable and reckless to name them by difficult, specific to only one language words. In my opinion they should be easy to pronounce and pronounced similarly in various languages. If I created a new cultivar and thoughtlessly named it 'Szczęście' (what in Polish means 'Luck') how would you read it, hm? So, besides the Code the plant producers should have quick wits. The code is useful but the market has its own rules.

Best,

Marek

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.