IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Dracontium amazonense
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2009.10.05 at 11:36:55(20155)
I can say that my various Dracontium (prancei, polyphyllum, 2 no-IDs from Brasil, 1 no-ID from Ecuador (too young) and one no-ID from who knows where) that I have had for between 3 and 5 years (with a couple of exceptions) have never flowered except the prancei once after a dormancy. They have all stayed virtually evergreen except for maybe a month here and there (3 dormant now) and so far no influorescence. The prancei has produced a nice petiole this summer in nearly full sun that is 1.3 m tall and the largest polyphyllum has a petiole approximately 0.8 m tall and still emerging (this is the second petiole on the tuber after a short dormancy). Mine obviously rarely flower, and this could be my growing conditions, but honestly, just like Amorphs, I think the petiole and leaf is the real reason to grow them :o)

I really wish this genus was more widely grown so we could all try a few additional species!! I find the offsets very tough, but once they get a bit of size on them I find them to be quite enjoyable even in my zone 6, no GH conditions. If anyone ever has any tubers they can spare I'd love to hear about them :o)

Dan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.