IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Temperature requirements for Helicodiceros
From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc at sbcglobal.net> on 2010.02.02 at 05:32:19(20542)
Greetings forum members,

As Mr. Advent has posted,( and Others) Dracunculus vulgaris is often more hardy

than expected. As for myself, I have been able to grow this plant Here in Chicago for a number

of years. It will do very well in the gardens near Lake Michigan, in an area known

as Chicago's North Shore Suburbs. ( Near the Chicago Botanic Gardens).

These suburbs that lie along the coast line of the lake, receive a moderating effect

from Lake Michigan. In some cases, the winter temperatures have resembled USDA Zone 6.

I am 40 miles Northwest of Downtown Chicago, solid Zone 5 (B), and Dracunculus will grow here

as well.

Drainage, soil amendment, and mulching, all will improve not only growing conditions

throughout spring and summer, but will improve in ground winter survival.

Arum italicum grows in the ground here year after year, as well as Sauromatum venosum.

One of the "problems" we have around here, with growing conditions in gardens, is rainy fall weather.

This can result is saturated / over saturated soils. Then follows the annual winter freezing,

which can cause the frost line to penetrate below ground to nearly 4 feet deep (or deeper) .

The occasional mid winter thaw,and refreeze don't help. The prolonged winters

and sometimes late Springs, can be challenging to plant structures, both above

and below the soil line.

Michael Kolaczewski

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.