IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] How to Set Up a High-humidity Riparium for Crypts and
From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2010.09.08 at 13:49:57(21419)
Neat, Devin!

I had a 200 gallon tank a few years ago carpeted with Cryptocorne. It had no filtration, just a very hot, bright, mercury vapor light above. I had been reading about the hot, dry seasons in India and SE Asia, followed by monsoons. I let the tank dry down, exposing the leaves. the hydrophytic leaves started to dry, crack and burn, however new leaves started growing immediately. I let the tank dry down to just wet sand. After a few weeks the tank was full of inflorescences. Eventually the blooms died back, but the plants were still producing leaves. I refilled the tank and repeated the experiment with similar results about nine months later.

Just some anecdotal info. I am sure Ted Held may have something to add to my story.

Happy days,

Christopher

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.