IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] What is it all about?
From: "Ertelt, Jonathan B" <jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu> on 2013.08.07 at 14:15:08(22877)
Greg,

You can find answers to roughly half of your questions by going to the website, www.Aroid.org, and then clicking on the various headings listed on the left side of the homepage, including “society,” which takes you to a page that works through many of your
questions, including board of directors, history of the organization, by-laws, etc.

I’m simply a supporting member and a contributor to both writings and the forum, but I would expect that the plan for the future involves continuing to support education and research in the aroid family. Talking up aroids and getting folks enthused in these
plants is a good beginning towards increasing the membership, but it is admittedly a slow process.

I have no idea about the Facebook page, didn’t know we had one, as I am not involved with Facebook.

There is I suspect a great deal of interest in the conference to be held in Hanoi – I personally would love to attend, and then spend some time looking for both aroids and gesneriads in surrounding natural areas – however the price of the airline ticket alone
would take care of the family savings right now, so my enthusiasm will not be made manifest. “Outside the USA” simply means a lot more expensive, but frankly I have yet to attend our own conference, show, sale and banquet in Florida at the Fairchild gardens
for financial reasons as well. At the same time, I do expect that there will be some representation by IAS at the conference, both organized as well as individuals who are members.

I hope that this begins to answer some of the questions you pose. Certainly visiting the IAS website, again at www.Aroid.org will help clarify much of this for you. So, what sorts of plants do you have in your collection there in Australia (another place I’d
love to get to but doubt that I’ll be able to)? I take it by your address that you have something to do with Alpaca? Thanks for your obvious interest in the society – one of the benefits of membership, our journal Aroideana, has just been published and you
should be receiving your copy before too long. Good Growing!

Jonathan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.