IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] December Newsletter
From: Albert Huntington <amasakih at gmail.com> on 2014.12.15 at 21:05:45(23191)
Folks,

Just wanted to note re: Wilbert's issues with the PDF that it is a problem of which we are aware, but which has not yielded to any easy solutions.

The official format of the e-newsletter is online as an HTML web page, and the PDF version of it was tacked on by popular request, but is generated simply by my pressing "print to pdf" on a web browser. The results are less than optimal, but reflect a more fundamental problem, which is that pagination of long photo-intensive articles like these is a lot of work, and part of the removal of limitations on content which accompanied our move to a wholly electronic newsletter is based on my not having to lay out some unwieldy number of pictures for each issue to match page boundaries.

The more astute among you will no doubt have noted that the PDF is not simply poorly laid out, but apparently actively hostile ... to which I can only say that I don't have the bandwidth right now to debug issues with browser print-rendering engines.

Having said that, if anyone would like to volunteer to tackle this problem in a more aesthetically pleasing manner, or for that matter to take over the layout task entirely, I'm all for more people being involved in the process.

--Albert

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.