IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Using shade cloth to protect anthuriums and philos grown
From: Rosalind Gold <rozgold at pacbell.net> on 2018.06.30 at 20:05:55(23848)
Friends:

I live in an apartment in Los Angeles, and grow my aroids indoors, because the only outdoor growing area I have - a patio balcony - gets about 4 - 5 hours of direct sunlight - and it can get quite hot in the summer.

After February's IAS show (and with September's coming up), I've pretty much run out of indoor space with indirect light in the apartment. I was thinking of covering an area of my patio with shade cloth, and moving some of my aroids outdoors. I'm wondering if this would be feasible for the following aroids, and if so, what percent should the shadecloth be:

Anthurium hybrids (like the kind Silver Krome Gardens features - such as 'Giant Chocolate' or 'Rainbow Champion'

Philodendron 'Pink Princess'

Philodendron domesticum

I'm not look to grow my plants perfectly, and I realize I don't have the best humidity for them - nonetheless, it would be nice to grow them outdoors without them getting scorched.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

-Roz, in Los Angeles

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.