IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: more on the shakey amorph
From: mburack at mindspring.com on 2001.05.23 at 15:15:00(6542)
Dear Carol,

Unfortunately I have had my share of experience with this. As a matter of fact, last night a wonderful Florida rainstorm came through with some peaceful, calm 40+ mile an hour winds.

10+ plants were sheared into the oblivion... this happens to me with some frequency. Usually for me (if there is a tuber left) it will stay down until the next year (and of course usually rot or dessicate before it gets to that point), or generally just die completely.

I think only once or twice have I seen a new leaf come up (my experience in these situations), and it happened only when the tuber was quite large.

I swear I dont understand how these things ever made it through the evolutionary process..... what plant makes one leaf per year? Dont animals or storms destroy these things in the wild like they do in cultivation???!!!!!???

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.