IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

aroid cooking (was : It's everwhere)
From: Piabinha at aol.com on 2001.10.09 at 21:31:44(7593)
hey, don, i can't believe you have not seen these candies/jellies. they are everywhere in many large cities, you can find them in groceries. they are basically small jelly cups with a fruit cube in the middle. it's made of the A. konjac flour, plus other stuff like coconut gel, i guess. i guess there is a danger for small kids for choking on the whole thing, they are smaller than most toys.

it's amazing how paranoid and lawsuit-conscious we have become as a nation. soon enough there'll be very little that is allowable because there is an inherent danger in every facet of life...

incidentally, i was at my mom's for dinner last week. among the dishes she prepared, there were deep-fried taro cubes (served with a soy-sauce and garlic dipping sauce) and fried konnyaku with asparagus and other veggies.

does anyone know the etymology of konjac/konnyaku? what's the origin of the word? does it come from the japanese or is the japanese word derivative of it? is this plant native to japan only?

tsuh yang chen, NYC USA

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.