IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

RE: aroid hardiness
From: "mburack at mindspring.com" mburack at mindspring.com> on 2002.03.11 at 23:04:40(8279)
What I never understand about these hardiness numbers.. is the "duration" of cold.

I think my confusion stems from hardiness meaning "it will not die" as oppossed to "it will thrive".

For example... Tony you are saying you believe Synandrospadix vermitoxis would be hearty to zone 7.... you might be right but I would be very surprised... As a person who lives in South Florida (z10b), zone 7 is a serious icebox. I find it very hard to believe that the plant would survive 4-5 months of nonstop cold temperatures....zone 7 (according to weather.com) would experience temps on average of 40's-50's (eeking out to about-60) as a high and close to freezing or below every single day from December to March....

I cant speak for the highlands of Argentina, but I know of many Asian highland plants where things get pretty cool everynight but never even close to freezing. Moreover, the true highland stuff tends to die pretty fast as soon as it starts hitting 90+ degrees in the summer so for places like me in Florida and you in N. Carolina the summers could prove to be pretty rough.

I know you have been very sucessful growing many "tropicals" in your zone... I am just never sure if they can reach their real potential?

Original Message:

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.