IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Suspected Asian Aroid
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.02.03 at 21:17:39(19036)
Pete, if you're out there I'm goingto aim this at you since I suspect this is a SE Asian aroid. Anyone ismore than welcome to offer an ID.

This cutting was given to me about a year ago but had no tag. Theblade measures 35cm or just over 1 foot and is subcoriaceous, glossy onthe upper surface and matte on the abaxial surface. The petioles areterete (round). I'm including a photo of the stem. Any ideas whatthis might be?

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.02.03 at 23:50:22(19039)

Pete replied privately the plant is Rhaphidophoradecursiva. If you have good scientific info you can share I wouldappreciate the source.

Steve

HTML

+More

From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.02.04 at 00:19:08(19041)
Looks like a Monsteroid to me . . . probably Raphidophora or one of the
other similar genera in that group.

Grins,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix at msn.com> on 2009.02.04 at 00:31:48(19043)
Hi Mr. Lucas & fellow Aroid lovers,

It sure looks like the Rhaphidophora decursiva I have in the greenhouse.

Good luck in all you do,

sherry

HTML

+More

From: Helmut Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger at web.de> on 2009.02.04 at 02:20:45(19045)
Steve,
I am not that expirienced as Pete, but this looks very familiar to me. We h ave one huge plant in the HBV (Vienna-University / Botanical Garden), - may be the only one in Europe, -
and I am priveleged to cut it back each year (to make use of the cuttings). I trade this plant commercially in different sizes (leaf blades up to two meters - 6 ft - long and 1 meter
- 3 ft- wide). I once had wrongly identified it as Epipremnum pinnatum, whi ch I do know from Australian rainforests. But finally I have learned throug h Peter that it only can be Raphidophora decursiva. If that is in doubt or wrong, please let me know! Thanks!

Helmut Reisenberger

+More
From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2009.02.04 at 06:08:16(19046)
Steve,

Sure looks a lot like my Rhaphidophora decursiva.

Sheldon Hatheway

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.02.04 at 16:08:26(19050)
To me it’sfairly obviously Raphidophora decursiva.

John.

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com[mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] OnBehalf Of ExoticRainforest

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.02.05 at 05:14:02(19052)
Thanks guys!

Steve

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.02.05 at 05:18:18(19053)
I'd say the consensus is you arevery right! Do you have a photo of the adult plant I can use on theExoticRainforest.com website? I'm working on the page tonight butreally could use photos of the adult plant as well as any detail shotsincluding an inflorescence, abaxial blade surface, cataphylls andanything else! I'll gladly credit you any way you like.

Thanks a bunch!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.02.05 at 05:20:08(19054)
Sherry, I am getting old (63 onMonday) but still prefer Steve! Please, not birthday wishes either!

Thanks for the assist!

Steve

HTML

+More

From: Helmut Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger at web.de> on 2009.02.06 at 04:18:31(19058)
Hi Steve,

I ´ll do my best for the photos. I have to go there (HBV, Botanical Garde n of the Vienna University) and will climb up the plant (seven meters).

I also owe the forum photos of an adult Monstera tenuis, which I once have found in the Botanical Garden of Darmstadt (Germany). I hope the plant stil l exists and I have to ask them to get these pictures. If so, I would be ha ppy, if you also could investigate/publish this wonderful species. Picts of the juvenile Monstera tenuis I have available, as the young shoots run all over my tropical greenhouse and wait to be cut back.

I also have not forgotten that I have promised Leland some rooted cuttings of the Monstera tenuis. I have them available, but unfortunately I have los t the delivery address.

Best regards
Helmut

+More
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.02.08 at 01:20:13(19060)
Thanks Helmut! One of my greatestjoys is to research new aroids I'm either growing or am interested ingrowing so please do send all the photos possible and I'll begin thesearch for good info. I'm forwarding this to Leland so he can give youhis address!

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.