IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

UK Aroids
From: Mark Pajak <markpajak at hotmail.com> on 2009.07.10 at 13:16:05(19489)
Just a quick question - Are there any Aroids native to the UK?
HTML

+More

From: "Antony and Fenna Orpin" <antandfenna at ballyveely36.fsnet.co.uk> on 2009.07.11 at 22:05:52(19500)
Just a couple,

lords and ladies....../cuckoo pint for a start.........then cryptocoryne...........

Tony

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.07.11 at 23:31:25(19501)
Certainly a few species of Lemna and Spirodela ;) but you mean the larger ones.

I think Calla palustris and Arum maculatum, maybe some other species of Arum gone wild from horticulture.

Marek

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.07.12 at 09:44:08(19503)
Dear Mark,

Yes, at least a couple species of the genus Arum, and several introduced genera.
Get a copy of Deni Bown`s ''Aroids, plants of the arum family'' and stop working ''blind'', it is a FANTASTIC source of knowledge on all things aroid-related.   Worth its weight in gold to me.

Good Growing,

Julius

HTML

+More

From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail at hctc.com> on 2009.07.13 at 01:28:27(19506)
Yes -- the nominate species of the Araceae! Arum maculatum.
It has various colloquial names, including lords-and-ladies
and cuckoo-pint.

+More
From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at googlemail.com> on 2009.07.15 at 09:01:11(19522)
Native:Arum maculatum; Arum italicum (only in the far south and southwest, and theonly Arum on the Isle of Wight).

Naturalized:Lysichiton americanum (various localities, notably Oxfordshire); Arisarumproboscideum (only one site); Symplocarpus foetidus (a few sites).

CertainlyNOT Cryptocoryne; while the UK is noting some effects of global warming it’snot yet equatorial triopics...

Peter

HTML

+More

From: Deni Bown <denibown at googlemail.com> on 2009.07.21 at 17:04:14(19583)
Thanks to Peter for this definitive statement on aroids native to the UK. May I also add that I have also found naturalized populations of Lysichiton americanus together with L. camtschatcensis and their cream-colored hybrid. The photos of these two species in my book Aroids - Plants of the Arum Family were taken in in wet woodland on the Hampshire-Berkshire border. They had spread downstream from a large garden where they were originally planted as ornamentals beside the section of stream that ran through the property. This should perhaps serve as a warning to anyone whose land borders on natural watercourses. They're a magnificent sight but they don't belong in the wild.

Recently, on the field trip to the Haut Chitelet Alpine Botanical Garden during the Xth International Aroid Conference, I noticed Lysichiton seedlings downstream from the main garden. It would be interesting to know how long it takes plants such as these to get up to mischief and how they change the ecology of the habitats they invade.

Deni

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.