IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

New Aroideana, Vol. 32, 2009.
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.08.31 at 20:50:42(19877)
Dear EVERYBODY,

I received my copy of the new Aroideana earlier today, and talk about something that was SO worth waiting for!   WHAT AN ISSUE!   Congrats to our tireless Editor Derek Burch, and to all the authors who are responsible to such an eclectic collection and mix of both scientific AND ''popular'' articles and papers!  
We will, I am sure, all have or personal favorites, but mine was one of two of Josef Bogner`s articles, the one on Zomicarpella, a tiny plant which I have been researching the origins of and wondering about  for over 20 years, way back since there was a photo. of the one leaf and a bloom from cultivation in 1881, with no real info. but published in a REAL early issue of Aroideana (Vol. 1, No. 3),Tom Croats article on Colombian aroids, superbly written and illustrated (as usual!), all the other scientific descriptions by Pete Boyce and others, and the wonderful papers on private collections/gardens by M. Challis, Steve Lucas and Leland Miyano which I have already  read, plus I still have left all the other authors from Holland, India, France (nice work, Genevieve!) This volume will keep me busy reading for days to come.
As one would say back in my Trinidad, W.I. (land of "de chubas"), "Allyuh, dat is one book fada!" (All of you, that is the father of books).

Good Growing,

Julius Boos

HTML

+More

From: Albert M Huntington <amh at ieee.org> on 2009.09.01 at 19:27:49(19892)
Folks,

I'd like to join Julius in congratulating Derek and the authors on a job well done - strangely I received my copy on the same day as Julius. It's a lot of work to put out a big book like this every year.

For those of you who are not IAS members - the journal is NOT just full of peer-reviewed scientific articles, but as Julius noted, also contains plenty of information that is interesting to the hobby grower.

If you'd like to see the beautiful cover of the current issue, I just loaded it into our cover archive at http://www.aroid.org/aroideana/backissues/ - hopefully the articles will be inserted into Paul Resslar's index database soon and you'll be able to see the table of contents online too...

--Albert

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.09.03 at 02:59:38(19913)
Please let me join Julius andAlbert. Derek is to be highly congratulated for this work of love. Just writing a descent article takes effort and having worked with manypublishers in the past I've seen how hard it is to put out a book ofthis magnitude.

By the way, if any of you have an idea for an article aimed at aroidcollectors and growers please drop a note to Derek. You can can findhim on the IAS member list and I know he always entertains any goodideas! We only get out of the IAS an amount equal to what we arewilling to put in so please make your name known to the group byoffering to write an article of interest for either Aroideana or theIAS newsletter.

Thanks Derek! This one is really good.

Steve

HTML

+More

From: "Famille FERRY" <jpcferry2 at wanadoo.fr> on 2009.09.05 at 15:29:00(19941)
Dear Julius,

Thank you for your encouragement.
I wish you good health and a good weekend in Miami with friends" aroidophiles." I love so much be with you all.

The best,

Geneviève

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.