IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

African aroids?
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2013.06.24 at 14:59:10(22820)
Hello again, fellow aroiders,

I have been wondering today about African aroids. Those of us who grow tropical aroids will be aware of the genera of the American tropics, i.e. Caladium, Xanthosoma, Philodendron, Anthurium, Monstera, Spathiphyllum, Dieffenbachia, et al.; and the Southeast Asian genera, Epipremnum, Aglaonema, Colocasia, Alocasia, Cyrtosperma, and most of the Amorphs. But Africa seems almost like the Lost Continent. Other than Zantedeschia and some of the Amorphs, what African genera are widely known in cultivation? The biodiversity of Africa has long fascinated me, but it seems like the most difficult continent to find out much about. Who here grows African aroids besides Zantedeschia and Amorphs?

Jason

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2013.06.24 at 16:23:02(22821)
Jason:

The most complex genus, at least in
tropical Africa is Culcasia. Anubias is
relatively rich too. In the eastern highlands Stylochiton is important. None
are super big and most are not particularly easy to cultivate.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: George Yao <geoyao at gmail.com> on 2013.06.24 at 18:30:38(22822)
Jason,

I grow Zamioculcas zamiifolia, Gonatopus boivinii, and Calliopsis volkensii. Other species frequently seen in cultivation are Cercestis mirabilis and Typhonodorum lindleyanum.

George Yao

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2013.06.25 at 00:00:38(22823)
Hi Jason,

We have several Nephthytis in cultivation (afzelii, hallaei, poissonii, and swanei) raised from seed we acquired in early 2010. They germinated very easily and although initially slow growing, once they began to form their rhizome (after about one year) all became vigorous and very easy to maintain. Nephthytis swanei flowered for the first time last year (2 1/2 years from germination).

We also have Culcasia mannii and Cercestis dinklagei both acquired from a nursery in N Sumatera (!).

I have to say that I don't agree with Tom that African genera are hard to grow. Even under less than ideal glasshouse conditions Kew maintains a reasonably extensive collection of tropical African taxa, many of which (e.g., Culcasia, Stylochaeton) have been cultivated for decades. The majority are lowland to mid-elevation taxa and I am certain that were they given higher minimum temperatures they would be almost weedy.

Peter

HTML

+More

From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2013.06.25 at 01:05:11(22824)
Jason,

As part of Africa is on the Mediterranean, I would think that Arum occurring in Morocco (Arum hygrophillum Boiss & Arum italicum Miller) and Libya (Arum cyrenaicum Hruby) might be included in your list of African aroids.

David Leedy

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2013.06.25 at 03:23:40(22825)
David,

If we're stretching Africa then should include Arisarum vulgare, A. simorrhinum, Eminium spiculatum, and Biarum olivieri.

Being tediously pedantic, the Moroccan Arum hygrophilum is a separate species (as yet unpublished: Arum maurum (Braun-Blanq. & Maire) comb. ined.

P.

HTML

+More

From: "derek burch" <derek at horticulturist.com> on 2013.06.25 at 12:52:20(22826)
Oh, yesss !!! How about three or four
articles for the next Aroideana –
checklists, speculation, disagreement about geography, culture, special plants
that everyone should know . . . Maybe six or seven articles, maybe an African
issue. Ahhh, my heart sings ! Derek

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2013.06.25 at 14:09:04(22827)
Hiyer, Jason!

Other good African genera are Anchomaenes, Pseudohydrosme (which is probably Anchomaenes anyway), and Anubias.

Happy days!

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2013.06.25 at 14:14:16(22828)
Good catch, David!

To that we can add Arisarum, Ambrosina, Sauromatum, and Biarum. There are some Arisaema species there as well, but I do not know how extensive those species are in cultivation. I suppose we could also add in Pistia, but that seems like cheating . . .

Happy days,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2013.06.25 at 14:15:20(22829)
So, Peter:

When is the new edition of the Arum book coming out?

Grins,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2013.06.25 at 14:27:06(22830)
Dear Derek,

You are great!

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2013.06.25 at 19:13:41(22833)
Hello,

The Mediterranean aroids are usually not counted as African (see the uberlist) at www.aroid.org

I have (or had (or had had :) )) several species.

Still growing 2 spp. of Anubias, Nephthytis afzelii (in fruit, soon seeds), Zamioculcas zamiifolia, Zantedeschia aethiopica and many Zant. cultivars.

I had Anchomanes difformis but the tuber died and some more Anubias that I didn't know how to cultivate them.

I'm looking for Callopsis volkensii and other small (not exceeding 1m of height) species - Arophyton, Carlephyton, Amorphophallus, Arisaema (native to Africa, if any exist, not Asian spp. naturalized there), also species of Arum, Biarum, Arisarum, Ambrosina. I already have Arum hygrophilum (only one tuber).

Regards,

Marek Argent

HTML

+More

From: "Peter Boyce" <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2013.06.26 at 00:26:06(22834)
Christopher,

Sadly never in the format in which it first appeared, but certainly there are quite a lot of changes that would justify a new edition in some form or other. The most pressing is the resurrection of Gymnomesium for Arum pictum, a “split” that now has overwhelming molecular support to bolster the already pretty convincing morphology. Then the Arum orientale “mob” requires resurrections (A. melanopus, A. besserianum), and one new species courtesy of Alan Galloway. In subgenus Arum Arum amoenum needs removal from A. maculatum, A. albispathum from A. italicum, and A. nickelii from A. concinnatum.

Peter

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2013.06.26 at 14:49:20(22837)
Dear Peter,

Thanks for the update! It would be good to see your Arum book revised. It is a good book, and I still use it today.

Happy days!

Christopher

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.