IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dieffenbachia oerstedii - ID confirmation requested
From: "Morse, Clinton" <clinton.morse at uconn.edu> on 2015.05.18 at 17:28:37(23363)

Good afternoon, we have a couple of plants in our collections labelled Dieffenbachia oerstedii
Schott that have been here for over 3 decades. Doing a quick google image search, what I see returned mostly looks a bit different from what we have, although this could certainly be common horticultural selections versus true species.

No original locality data or source of original plants.

Would love it if some of the experts could chime in and confirm this ID or dispute it and offer alternate names for this. Many thanks in advance..

HTML

+More

From: "Ertelt, Jonathan B" <jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu> on 2015.05.18 at 19:46:03(23366)
Clinton,

Surprised me when I hit return and was on the aroid page and not AERGC. At any rate, from the images you have sent these plants look more like Aglaonema sp. rather than a Dieffenbachia, especially with the fruit production the way it is – but the inflorescence
is more Aglaonema like as well. I think that these are old world rather than new world, genus Aglaonema.

Jonathan

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2015.05.18 at 20:15:43(23367)
Dear Clinton: Your plant is an Aglaonema, native to SE Asia, not a Dieffenbachia which is strictly neotropical. There are some Asian experts, especially
Pete Boyce who may be able to name your plant. I am copying Pete here.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2015.05.18 at 23:37:02(23368)
Ignorant as I am about Dieffenbachia oerstedii, I would say at first glance that this is a mislabeled specimen and is far more likely to be an Asiatic genus such as Aglaonema. Never have I seen dieffenbachia stems rough and brown like that. The upper parts are usually green and shiny.

John.

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Morse, Clinton

HTML

+More

From: David Scherberich <dscherberich at gmail.com> on 2015.05.18 at 21:28:32(23369)
Seems to be Aglaonema nitidum, the typical subspecies with plain green leaves.

2015-05-18 19:28 GMT+02:00 Morse, Clinton :

Good afternoon, we have a couple of plants in our collections labelled Dieffenbachia oerstedii
Schott that have been here for over 3 decades. Doing a quick google image search, what I see returned mostly looks a bit different from what we have, although this could certainly be common horticultural selections versus true species.

No original locality data or source of original plants.

Would love it if some of the experts could chime in and confirm this ID or dispute it and offer alternate names for this. Many thanks in advance..

HTML

+More

From: Eduardo Gomes Goncalves <edggon at gmail.com> on 2015.05.19 at 00:06:40(23370)
Dear Clinton,
This is not Dieffenbachia oerstedii or any other Dieffenbachia. In fact it is an Aglaomena, maybe a plain green A. nitidum.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.