IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Zamioculcas - like Gonatopus ?
From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 22:01:09(23872)
As some of you might know, I import plants from Thailand from time to time (with the proper paperwork, of course) and a recent acquisition has me stumped.

These are called Variegated Zamioculcas - but the petiole has the kinks that Gonatopus do. Is there some kind of new Zamioculcas species floating around that hasn't hit the mainstream market yet? The leaflets are heavily splashed with creamy variegation, and are slender and more elongated.

I'm happy to share a picture if we are allowed?

Jude

--

The Silent Seed

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 00:28:19(23877)

Hey Steve - nice to re-connect with you, too!

Thank you - I honestly don't know how to tell the size of a picture - I just snap, shoot, with my old camera.

Heck - I got my lazy bum up and I actually looked at one of my pictures on the computer and it actually tells me the size of it. How hard was that? :)

So, this picture supposedly is 3.3 mb, and is of the variegated Zamioculcas with Gonatopus characteristics (kinks.)

Any input would be great.

Best, Jude

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 04:34:12(23881)

Steve and all... I for one would be delighted to see Aroid-L with a new lease of life - the sheer quantity of "messages" I get when posting anything on FB has led me to being very selective, not to say the annoyance of trying to re-find a post that only moments earlier was on the screen but is now buried under a mass of images of peoples' food interspersed with persistent adverts for incontinence products.

Anyhow... in the vein of sharing... here is a nice dwarf Schismatoglottis we are in the process of describing for inclusion in the next Aroideana.

Peter

HTML

+More

From: Steve Marak <samarak at gizmoworks.com> on 2018.08.06 at 22:28:32(23883)
Pictures are definitely allowed.

I would ask that people not post a 20MB image file, since there
are still many people without fast Internet (and since that's far
larger than necessary) but the days of asking people to resize
their pictures down to the point where it's hard to see anything
are - I hope - behind us.

Post away!

Steve

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 13:47:48(23888)
Hello, friends!!!

I agree with Peter et al., I miss Aroid-L. Although, I have avoided FB entirely.

Nice plant, Peter! And it is good to hear from all of you guys again!!

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: =?utf-8?Q?Eduardo_Gon=C3=A7alves?= <edggon at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 14:24:33(23889)
Dear Pete,

HTML

+More

From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 11:42:15(23892)
That’s unusual, Jude. Are you asking what species you have or something different? My understanding is there is only one species of Zamioculcas.

Zach

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2018.08.07 at 16:19:21(23893)

Dear Jude: Could you send your image(s). I would like to see this strange plant.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 16:45:47(23895)

Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you!

i attached a picture but it got lost along the way, it seems.

I am attaching it here again. I would love your input on this creature.

Best, Jude

HTML

+More

From: Bobby McGehe <bobbymcgehe at bellsouth.net> on 2018.08.07 at 16:56:59(23897)
I have this form, although it is not variegated.

It has been called the 'wild form' in many conversations.

Bobby

HTML

+More

From: Bobby McGehe <bobbymcgehe at bellsouth.net> on 2018.08.07 at 17:02:19(23898)
I am pretty sure it is Gonatopus.

To: Discussion of aroids
Sent: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Zamioculcas - like Gonatopus ?

Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you!

i attached a picture but it got lost along the way, it seems.

I am attaching it here again. I would love your input on this creature.

Best, Jude

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2018.08.07 at 17:06:31(23899)
Dear Pete: My sentiments on some of the non-Aroid-L sites. What a lovely Schismatoglottis. I hope you can get it into cultivation. Was is some sort of a obligate edaphic form that won’t grow
well out of its niche?

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 19:23:15(23908)
I will defer to Tom, of course. But to me it looks like Gonatopus boivinii. I was unaware of any variegated varietals.

I like G. boivinii very much and would like to try other Gonatopus species. I know this one is invasive in some areas and is a pest. But I still find them beautiful. They are easily propagated from leaflets stuck upright into sphagnum. The ease of making more is what contributes to its invasiveness. They are also very sensitive to over watering, and are prone to rot.

Good to "hear" your voice again, Jude! It has been along time.

Happy days,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 20:37:37(23910)
There are two forms of Zamioculcas zamiifolia that are available. The most common is the horticultural variety with glossy green and very smooth leaves with broad, swollen stems. The other, which I have heard called the "wild form," is much more like your photos, Jude, with the exception of the variegation. The main growth (what looks like a stem but is actually the petiole, I believe) is thinner. Also, my experience is that the "wild form" tends to be more deciduous, whereas the horticultural form tends to be more evergreen.

Gonatopus boivinii differs in structure, with leaflets splayed out more horizontally, similar to Amorphophallus, rather than all along the vertical growth of the petiole.

My two cents,

Zach DuFran

HTML

+More

From: Bobby McGehe <bobbymcgehe at bellsouth.net> on 2018.08.07 at 21:26:06(23911)

After looking more closely at this one I agree, Zach. The tubers and growing

habit do resemble Zamioculcas.

I have enclosed a picture of the inflorescence. taken at the end of May, several years ago.

Nice to have it labeled correctly.

Bobby

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 22:44:10(23914)
Bobby,

Do you happen to have a picture of yours? I'd love to see it along with the knees / kinks?

Best, Jude

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 21:21:36(23916)
Zach,

What about the so-called Zamioculcas lanceolata? I personally am not certain if they are distinct species or if "lanceolata" is a more elongated version of zamiifolia?

I had no idea about the "wild form" versus the domestic form of zamiifolia. Would you happen to have seen any pictures of the wild form, with kinked petioles?

These don't show any indication of "branching" as Gonatopus do. I know what you are referring to.

Nice to have y'all's back!

HTML

+More

From: "Peter C. Boyce" <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 01:06:32(23921)

Dear Eduardo:

So good to hear from you.

This Schismatoglottis (to be described as S. clivemarshii) grows on very odd melange outcroppings composed of basalt, granite, deep water sediments and nickel-rich ultrabasics in a semi-hard clay matrix.

It is interesting to note that the two species to which S. clivemarshii is most closely related are both limestone obligates.

See attached.

On the subject of complex blade-patternings, here on Borneo by far the most complex and variable markings occur on species from ultrabasics.

See attached.

Great to be in touch Eduardo

Very best as ever

Pete

HTML

+More

From: "Peter C. Boyce" <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 00:54:51(23924)
Dear Tom:

This is going to be described as Schismatoglottis clivemarshii, in tribute to the Clive Marsh, who was instrumental in establishing the Danum Valley Conservation Area in Sabah, to where this species in endemic. Clive, who was a personal friend, died of shortly before his fiftieth year from complications of tic-born encephalitis.

Yes, we have it in cultivation, in several of its different blade patternings.

Pete

HTML

+More

From: "Peter C. Boyce" <phymatarum at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 01:07:28(23925)
Hello Christopher,

Likewise, great to be in touch.

Peter

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 14:59:28(23927)
Good points, Zach. I was focusing on the patterns.

Bobby: great to connect with you again!!

On 7 August 2018 at 16:26, Bobby McGehe wrote:

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 15:08:52(23928)
Gorgeous plants . . .

On 7 August 2018 at 20:06, Peter C. Boyce wrote:

Dear Eduardo:

HTML

+More

From: Deni Bown <denibown at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 16:21:46(23930)
There is also a black form which has the same glossy green leaves and swollen stems. I saw it in a garden centre in the UK in April. Both leaves and stems are black.

Does anyone know the cultivar name and where it originates?

Deni Bown

HTML

+More

From: Steve Marak <samarak at gizmoworks.com> on 2018.08.08 at 16:20:30(23933)
My first thought on seeing Jude's picture was "definitely
Zamioculcas", but it's the first Zamioculcas I've seen that seems
to have an obvious geniculum (knee). The horticultural form that
shows up in hotel lobbies and malls never seem to show that, and
now that I think about it those plants all seem remarkably
similar. Does anyone know if there's more than one form of this
species in the trade?

Steve

HTML

+More

From: Don Bittel <donbit121 at hotmail.com> on 2018.08.09 at 00:49:57(23939)

Hello. The black leaved form that I bought was called 'Raven', and just said it was a new form from Asia. I hope it becomes more common.

Don Bittel

HTML

+More

From: Steve Marak <samarak at gizmoworks.com> on 2018.08.09 at 02:09:37(23940)
I Googled this after Deni's note earlier. Several vendors in the
U.K. were offering it under the cultivar name 'Dowton', and I
found this link from January suggesting it will be more widely
available in the U.S. (as 'Raven') later this year or early next:

https://gardenmediagroup.com/Zamioculcas-Raven-Chosen-Best-New-Plant

Steve

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.09 at 02:11:04(23941)
I missed this - sorry - I bought some, too - they are called Raven, and from what I can see so far, they are tiny! I wonder if the leaves will actually grow larger as the plant gets older, but my mother plant has 2-3 inch leaves sitting on top of a huge tuber. Weird little thing, and really striking.

Apparently they will be hitting box stores this fall or next spring according to Costa Farms.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.