IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Anthurium regale
From: Je Hi Jung <ateliyay at gmail.com> on 2020.07.24 at 23:23:02(24363)
Hello,
Wondering if anyone had any tips on Anthurium regale as my new leaf is starting to degrade and get holes like something is eating it but looks more like the leaf is very thin and spotted. I have it in a north facing window with medium indirect light and 80%+ humidity during the day and 70%+ humidity during the night, well draining soil and in a I have read on exotic rainforest and the other thread on here from 2008 but nothing about new leaves and what could possibly be the issue. She is very large about 2' long and about 1' wide. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Je Hi

--000000000000a341ee05ab38410b--

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2020.07.25 at 00:55:23(24364)
Hi,

I am sorry about your plant, and also sorry that I cannot help with your issue; but I do have a question. How are you maintaining that kind of humidity, since you said it's in a window, so I'm guessing it's in your home?

Best, Jude

HTML

+More

From: Je Hi Jung <ateliyay at gmail.com> on 2020.07.25 at 15:34:52(24365)
Hi Jude
I have actually created a greenhouse from an IKEA curio just for the regale and some smaller plants. I usually take her out during the day and put her on top of a humidifier that is on high and maintains above 80% humidity but there seems to be something else that is off because the leaves are degrading. Another contact said that regales are even struggling g I. The Singapore gardens so I am goi g to keep researching.

Je Hi

Sent from my iPhone

HTML

+More

From: riley2362 <riley2362 at aol.com> on 2020.07.25 at 15:52:24(24366)
The constant air movement on top of a humidifier can be detrimental to plants, even if the ambient humidity level is high.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------

HTML

+More

From: Je Hi Jung <ateliyay at gmail.com> on 2020.07.25 at 18:14:03(24367)

I may move her out to my greenhouse but it’s been so hot in SoCal, I guess I keep playing with my plants and see what works. I do know that once you receive your Tropicals they die back and the. Grow back to acclimate but I think this regale has other thing’s in mind. What do you suggest would be best riley2362?
Je Hi

Sent from my iPhone

--Apple-Mail-1C0D440E-D3C2-4198-85E3-7C862BEE3DCD--

HTML

+More

From: riley2362 <riley2362 at aol.com> on 2020.07.25 at 18:38:59(24368)
You are correct, they are tricky because they also dont like the heat. I have one that went sormant for two years and has now resprouted do some patience is required for them to acclimate. Good luck

Mike in NYC

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

HTML

+More

From: Rosalind Gold <rozgold at pacbell.net> on 2020.07.25 at 20:33:06(24369)
Je Hi:

I also live in SoCal, and I haven't done anything special with regard to putting my A. regale in a more humid environment - yes, I get some browning on the leaf edges, and the plant is slow to put out new leaves - but otherwise it's doing OK.

I do have issues with what appear to be spider mites, and I use a pesticide spray for that (I know, I know, some folks are opposed to these sprays, but they seem to get the job done).

Can you take a picture of the leaf damage and post it? Or have you done so some place else?

-Rosalind, in Culver City

HTML

+More

From: Je Hi Jung <ateliyay at gmail.com> on 2020.07.26 at 16:30:29(24370)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/200726093201-1.jpe)

Hello Rosalind,

Here is my new leaf, I have not touched it or sprayed it or anything and it looks like she went through battle. I am thinking something is missing probably from the environment or too much heat that is maki g the leaf degrade 😭.

Sent from my iPhone

HTML

+More

From: RON ILES <roniles8 at gmail.com> on 2020.07.26 at 22:30:23(24371)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/200726153201-1.jpe)

I know I'm a beautiful cabbage leaf with boo'ful veins...but.... please do'yuh think I could have a lot more shade, & some nice fresh air..and..and a lil' ole spray o water, not too cold not too ot when duh sun goez down. I don't think I gotta de Spider Mite but if I ave the spray would wash 'em off? My appy rave from the grave. Ole Ron SpathILES in Ole Ireland.. 🌻🙌😷😷🎵🎶😀😀🙌🙃🎶

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 5:34 PM Je Hi Jung wrote:

Hello Rosalind,

Here is my new leaf, I have not touched it or sprayed it or anything and it looks like she went through battle. I am thinking something is missing probably from the environment or too much heat that is maki g the leaf degrade 😭.

Sent from my iPhone

HTML

+More

From: Rosalind Gold <rozgold at pacbell.net> on 2020.07.26 at 22:51:46(24372)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/200726160201-1.jpe)

Ron - thanks for weighing in on this! You're suggestions are absolutely on point!

I agree that this doesn't look like spider mite damage - that tends to go for the entire leaf. Also - I agree that you might be giving it too much sun and possibly too much heat. I actually do think it's great that you have a leaf that looks pretty good - from the picture, there's some imperfections - but this does not look like a basically unhealthy plant.

Another thing to think about - is the leaf's tip touching anything, like another plant or part of a planter? Or is anything else coming in touch with any other parts of the leaf? I've learned that my big anthuriums and philodendrons get a lot of leaf damage that way. I've got mine on a plant stand near my deck window - and even with the stems attached to totems, the leaves grow right towards the window's glass, often touching blinds that are there to block some of the sun out - which results in brown spots or other damage on the edges of the leaves.

Hoping this helps.

-Rosalind

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2020.07.26 at 22:55:18(24373)
Ron Iles, I was just thinking of you this week and wondering if you were still around!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM, RON ILES

HTML

+More

From: Sherry Gates <thetropix at msn.com> on 2020.07.26 at 23:05:02(24374)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/200726163201-1.jpe)

ROFL I love ya, Ole Ron!

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com on behalf of RON ILES

Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2020 5:30 PM

To: Discussion of aroids

Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium regale

I know I'm a beautiful cabbage leaf with boo'ful veins...but.... please do'yuh think I could have a lot more shade, & some nice fresh air..and..and a lil' ole spray o water, not too cold not too ot when duh
sun goez down. I don't think I gotta de Spider Mite but if I ave the spray would wash 'em off? My appy rave from the grave. Ole Ron SpathILES in Ole Ireland.. 🌻🙌😷😷🎵🎶😀😀🙌🙃🎶

HTML

+More

From: RON ILES <roniles8 at gmail.com> on 2020.07.27 at 00:29:29(24375)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/200726174701-1.jpe)

Sherry!

Wonderful!

Wuhoo! 'Glad you are all survivin & we can still laugh

"silly"

I still remember lottsa Y'all. Tricia must still be smilin'

above us. Should I send more serious fun?

Ron (Iles)

HTML

+More

From: RON ILES <roniles8 at gmail.com> on 2020.07.27 at 01:06:13(24376)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/200726181701-1.jpe)

Ooo wot fun, Rosalind!

'Tisn't me that has the royal cabbage. The Aroid-L thingie came through to me in Ireland, & I thought it was lovely & seemed to be OK, a bit bleached with all that sun. The Member who grows it is Je Hi Jung ?

Long before your times (?) I was IAS (Newsletter Ed) (Spathiphyllum spp & Marantaceae), 2 decades back.

Tricia & lovely friends, joyful, kind professional, but my ole Brit humour got a bit too lively there in my 60's....).

Work yes yes serious but not me? Nah, I don't do serious, I'm an atom 🙌🙃😀🎶🎵🙌🌻self? Best Ron (Tryffid) (Smiling warm peaceful SW Ireland)

HTML

+More

From: Je Hi Jung <ateliyay at gmail.com> on 2020.07.27 at 05:58:23(24377)
Thank you Mike!

Thank you Ron for the lovely song and advice! ??????????

Rosalind-

+More
From: RON ILES <roniles8 at gmail.com> on 2020.07.27 at 14:08:11(24378)
Hi Je Hi & Folkies!!

Thank you for your nice😀. In UK I built a Live Spathiphyllum Reference with other shade, & stenothermal (narrowe temperature band) hydrophilic (Water loving) genera from the "warm" forest" floor in "partially artificially lit "Grow Rooms" - -about 1500 square feet assemblage: i tried to learn their "preferred" optima never subjecting the little dears to "death row" (😶😨😶😬...) conditions. Your Giant "Royal Cabbage" looks happy in your caring custody...

If its any help can I write like I was the plant, please?..I like it best when I'm warm enough, (oooooo!) humid, a nice balmy breeze, (oooo!) not oo 'ot, never cold, never never sticky wet, and... and....my feet kept moist & fizzy aerated. oooooo! Lubbly jubbly bubbly 'eavenly. I think you must be doing somethin like this already, This is just a smiley.

Chuckly

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.