IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] scale insect
From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2009.09.01 at 02:18:58(19882)
Hi, Sherry

I don't have scale infestations very often (except on one pesky Anthurium andreanum and my Monstera deliciosa variegata) but they have always responded to the old "dish water" treatment. Fill a bucket with lukewarm water and add just enough original unscented Blue Dawn dishwashing detergent to make the water feel slippery. Put some of the solution in a spray bottle and completely drench all leaf surfaces, petioles, stems, etc., paying special attention to any areas where the smaller scales might hide. The soap in the water breaks up the surface tension and allows the water to move in under the scales and they drown (what a pity, ha ha). After that is done, submerge the pot in the bucket until the entire planting medium is completely saturated (a few minutes). This does quite a number on anything lurking in the pots. I do not rinse the plant, but allow the soap water to dry on the leaves while the pot is draining. This works so well for me that I've started treating all of my "outdoors for the summer" plants the same way. I've noticed a marked decrease in the number of "unauthorized personnel" when I move the plants back into the greenhouse in the Fall. Now if I could only figure out a workable "assembly line" for the procedure. As it is now, it takes me the better part of a week to get all my plants treated and moved inside. It's a good thing I'm retired!

Hope this helps.

Sheldon Hatheway

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.