IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Botanist Mike Madison
From: "John" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2010.02.17 at 12:56:21(20616)
I used to hear thename Mike Madison a lot. He seemed to me to be šup there with Simon Mayo andthe other leading lights.

To stray a little fromAracae this reminds me of a similar case in the 1970s.š One of the foremost, ifnot THE foremost Heliconia experts of the time (before John Kress and FredBerry) was teaching botany at Hartwick College in Oneonta, New York State. Ontwo separate occasions he and I made field trips in Grenada.š He had travelled all overthe parts of Central and South America where heliconias occur, and told me thathe thought Grenada’s heliconias were evolving, because the two indigenousspp. found here, H. caribaea and H. bihai, were freely hybridizing.š This hehad not observed in either neighbouring St. Vincent, nor in Trinidad.

Although he and Icorresponded, after not having heard from him for a long time I discovered thatno-one seemed to know where he was.š Eventually I was told that he had droppedout of the botanical world and was making furniture !

Although I rememberhis first name was Robert, I am unable to recall his surname.

John.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.