IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Arum purpureospathum x Arum palaestinum
From: "Ertelt, Jonathan B" <jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu> on 2013.06.19 at 20:59:03(22819)
Erin,

While it is possible that the fly/pollinator visited one species and then the other, it is also possible and perhaps more likely that the A. purpureospathum was self-pollinated by whatever visited the flowers.

Others will I expect certainly chime in here but I’ve never known many of the berry fruited aroids to have a long and healthy seed viability – they tend to need to be planted pretty quickly. Keeping them chilled but not freezing, and not letting the fruit shrivel
too much or rot, all will help. I have no suggestions on preserving the viable seed for extended periods or removing them from the fruit – don’t know the genus that well. However, if you decide that you have some extra seeds...

Jonathan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.