IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris
From: paulindr at gmail.com on 2013.07.03 at 22:43:26(22848)
Hi! I lived in Basingstoke (UK) so had cold (sub zero) winters, warm but n ot hot summers. Some years it rained a lot and others were dry. My soil wa s fairly neutral and nothing special, though not inclined to be muddy. The grow site was in full sun with literally no overhanging plants or other sh ade.

I grew starting from one Druculculus. I inadvertently covered the plants wi th grass (lawn) one year (and the grass stayed thereafter). Before grass t here was bare soil, no mulch.

My plants started sprouting in mid-spring and died down in late summer.

>From the initial plant, which started well without apparent shock going fro m shop to garden, I ended up with 60 in just 3 years (I gave them all away to growers in London). I did get viable seed without any human interventio n and some germinated, though I gave these seedlings little attentions as I really didn't need more plants (at the time)!!! So to me, this is a not v ery fussy plant and is fairly indestructible. (Regretably, I emigrated to the Dominican Republic without plants and where plants would thrive but are unavailable!!!)

Cheers

Paulindr

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.