IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: callas, Z. aethiopica in particular
From: Dan Levin levin at pixar.com> on 2000.11.11 at 19:10:15(5675)
Folks,

The Z.a. 'Hercules' (or 'Hercules Brother') were acquired directly from Western Hills
Nursery, in Occidental Calif. Since I was the closest list member (60 miles), I bought
out their stock and did the distribution. However that quest really began in search of
Z.a. 'Hercules' described as "gigantic in stature (6 ft.+) with white spotted leaves"; a plant
described in the records of Strybing over in San Francisco; and credited to the founders
of Western Hills who unfortunately are no longer around to shed any light on the matter.

I was promised at the time by the current owners of Western Hills their plain leaved plants
were in fact 'Hercules'- but without spotting. However I seriously suspect they goofed in
their labeling somewhere along the line and we all ended up with generic aethiopica or
perhaps some other selection. This initial doubt led to Ray tentatively penning the title
Z.a. 'Hercules Brother' here on aroid_L I believe.
---

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.