IAS on Facebook
International Aroid Society
Annual Show and Sale
Held At Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
Miami, Florida, USA
The 2014 Show and Sale will be September 20th and 21st, 2014
- The Kampong has dorm beds at $40 with free WiFi. See below under Hotels.
- The Saturday Banquet is still $25 - reserve your spots now.
- We are lucky to have Felipe Cardona flying in from Colombia to be the featured speaker at the banquet, presenting on the Aroids of Colombia. Felipe is perhaps the most well-connected and knowledgeable aroid botanist working in Colombia, and in the words of Tom Croat, "Colombia is hands down the richest place on earth" when it comes to Aroids. Felipe is a Spathiphyllum specialist and runs the herbarium at the University of Antioquia in Medellin.
- The legendary auction will feature ( we checked! ) the famous Philodendron spiritus-sancti. Many additional donations will be available, including some very rare items. If you have a special plant you'd like to donate to the auction, please contact Drew Leonard for more information. There will be no internet bidding this year, so get your banquet tickets now.
- The menu will feature delicious catered Cuban cuisine from Mary Anderson.
- Confirmed vendors this year include:
- Ecuagenera - boxes of rare aroids from Ecuador.
Ecuagenera accepts preorders until August 27th through their website.
- Oasis Nursery - selling Aglaonemas, Anthurium and Philodendron
- Ree Gardens
- Invited but not yet confirmed:
- As always, Bill and Denis Rotolante at Silver Krome Gardens will supply a plethora of Aroids for the member tables.
- IAS Members can offer plants at the members table - check with Albert Huntington for more details.
(Prospective vendors please contact
Enid Offolter for more information.)
The IAS Show and Sale is a weekend event held annually during the 3rd weekend in September at the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Miami, Florida, USA.
The show and sale features:
- Opportunity to meet and interact with aroid researchers, breeders, growers, hobbyists and personalities from all over the USA.
- Vendors both local and international. In past years we have had vendors bringing aroids from places like Thailand and Ecuador. There are often plants available from botanical gardens and private growers that can be found nowhere else.
- Guest lectures on Saturday afternoons, speaking on various aroid related subjects including plant exploration, growing uncommon genera, and more.
- Opportunity to see huge specimen show plants up close.
- The annual IAS banquet which includes a guest speaker. Recent featured speakers have included Dr. Marc Gibernau from France speaking on pollination, Wilbert Hetterscheid from the Netherlands speaking on Amorphophallus, Leland Miyano from Hawaii speaking on Philodendrons, Joep Moonen from French Guyana, and many others.
- The annual IAS auction of rare aroids. A partial list of a previous year's offerings is available here. Depending on attendance, there are some wonderful deals to be had.
- Opportunities to see various other Aroid related operations in South Florida.
Past vendors have included:
Ecuagenera, Ree Gardens, Home,
Palm Hammock Orchid Estate and in the members section:
Silver Krome Gardens, Ron Weeks, Bruce McAlpin, Don Bittle, Ken Stokes, Barry Schwartz and many more.
Show and Sale Location
The IAS show and Sale is hosted the 3rd weekend in September at the world famous Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Miami, located at 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables (Miami), Florida 33156. The Garden is adjacent to Matheson Hammock Park, about 20 minutes by car from downtown Miami and Miami International Airport. You can find more information about Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden online here. Entrance to The Garden is now at the new visitor center at the north entrance off Old Cutler Road. Please see the garden website for admission prices.
Typical Schedule of Events
The show is set up from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Show entrants bring their select plants for display and for judging before noon. Vendors may setup their booths starting at noon.
The Show and vendor sales booths are open from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
On Saturday evening at 6:30 PM we begin the always-fulfilling Society Members Banquet Dinner followed by a short annual business meeting. The feature presentation by a well known Aroid personality is followed by the plant auction featuring many very rare and choice aroids.
The Show and Sale opens again from 9:30AM to 4:30PM. At 10:00AM there is a Board of Directors meeting at Fairchild Garden open to all IAS members.
The Indigo Hotel Miami Dadeland has traditionally been the hotel for out of town show attendees, and is located conveniently close to the gardens. The hotel has recently been remodeled and was formerly called the Ramada. Competitive rates may be found online.
The Hampton Inn Dadeland (305-269-0072 or 1-800-Hampton) is also well located and often less expensive.
The Tyson Dorm at the Kampong has a limited number of beds available, and free WiFi. The fee is $40 per night -- interested parties should contact Ann Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 305.442.7169 ext. 300 to arrange for payment and check-in. Reservations are first come, first served; they can accommodate up to 12 people.
Please plan to attend the International Aroid Society's Annual Show and Sale. It's a great opportunity not only to pick up some nice plants but to meet people in the aroid community.
If you have any questions about the IAS Show and Sale, please contact Scott Hyndman.
The 2008 show and sale is over, but we have preserved a lot of good memories: