IAS on Facebook
IAS on Instagram
Rescheduled 40th Annual
International Aroid Society Show and Sale
Held February 3-4, 2018 At Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
Miami, Florida, USA
Show and Sale RESCHEDULED!
Schedule for Saturday February 3rd, 2018:
9:30AM - Show opens at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
in the Garden House ( admission required )
11:00AM - Rare Plant Auction
( Garden House )
1:00PM - Afternoon Talks ( Corbin Building )
- Mick Mittermeier speaking on the two day expedition to the Eastern side of Farallones de Cali
- Barry Schwartz speaking on the two-day field trip the the Western side of the Farallones
- Gilberto Merino speaking on The Araceae of Ecuador
4:30PM - Show closes
6:30PM - Annual Banquet
, Featured Speaker Dr. Thomas Croat
( ticketed event )
- The Show Chairs this year are Alex Bello and Albert Huntington. Please feel free to contact either one with questions or issues.
- The Saturday Banquet is still $25 - reserve your spots before Sunday 1/28/2018. The banquet sold out last year, so please do not plan on buying tickets at the show.
- We are lucky to have Aroid legend Dr. Thomas Croat available to give a very special presentation on the stories and personalities of over forty years of society history.
- The legendary Auction will feature an assortment of rare donated plants. Many additional donations will be available, and we are planning on a slightly different format this year, with a daytime auction at 11am in the Garden House in addition to the traditional evening event. If you have a special plant you'd like to donate to the auction, please contact Alex Bello for more information. There will be no internet bidding this year, so get your banquet tickets now.
- The menu will feature delicious catered Cuban cuisine arranged by Mary Anderson.
- Confirmed vendors this year include:
- LeafGardens - Selling Amorphophallus ( NEW this year! )
- Equaflor-A - Gilberto Merino's operation in Cuenca, Ecuador.
- "Home" Sappasiri Chaovanich - tons of tubers and some other nice things from Thailand
- Barry Schwartz - Aroid Art and plants
- Oasis Nursery - selling Aglaonemas, Anthurium and Philodendron
- As always, Bill and Denis Rotolante at Silver Krome Gardens and Enid Offolter at NSE Tropicals, assisted by countless member growers, will supply a plethora of Aroids for the member tables.
- IAS Members can offer plants at the members table - see here for more details on both the vendors and members sales.
(Prospective vendors please contact Enid Offolter for more information.)
The IAS Show and Sale is a weekend event traditionally held annually during the 3rd weekend in September at the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Miami, Florida, USA.
The show and sale features:
- Opportunity to meet and interact with aroid researchers, breeders, growers, hobbyists and personalities from all over the USA.
- Vendors both local and international. In past years we have had vendors bringing aroids from places like Thailand and Ecuador. There are often plants available from botanical gardens and private growers that can be found nowhere else.
- Guest lectures on Saturday afternoons, speaking on various aroid related subjects including plant exploration, growing uncommon genera, and more.
- Opportunity to see huge specimen show plants up close.
- The annual IAS banquet which includes a guest speaker. Recent featured speakers have included Dr. Marc Gibernau from France speaking on pollination, Wilbert Hetterscheid from the Netherlands speaking on Amorphophallus, Leland Miyano from Hawaii speaking on Philodendrons, Joep Moonen from French Guyana, and many others.
- The annual IAS auction of rare aroids. A partial list of a previous year's offerings is available here. Depending on attendance, there are some wonderful deals to be had.
- Opportunities to see various other Aroid related operations in South Florida.
Past vendors have included:
Ecuagenera, Ree Gardens,
Palm Hammock Orchid Estate and in the members section:
Silver Krome Gardens, Bruce McAlpin, Don Bittel, Home Chaovanich, Enid Offolter, Barry Schwartz, Alex Bello and many more. For information on becoming a vendor or selling at the members table, please refer to the policy here.
Show and Sale Location
The IAS show and Sale is traditionally hosted the 3rd weekend in September at the world famous Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Miami, located at 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables (Miami), Florida 33156. The Garden is adjacent to Matheson Hammock Park, about 20 minutes by car from downtown Miami and Miami International Airport. You can find more information about Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden online here. Entrance to The Garden is through the visitor center at the north entrance off Old Cutler Road. Please see the garden website for admission prices.
Typical Schedule of Events
The show is set up from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Show entrants bring their select plants for display and for judging before noon. Vendors may setup their booths starting at noon.
The Show and vendor sales booths are open from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
On Saturday evening at 6:30 PM we begin the always-fulfilling Society Members Banquet Dinner followed by a short annual business meeting. The feature presentation by a well known Aroid personality is followed by the plant auction featuring many very rare and choice aroids. Dress is smart-casual.
The Show and Sale opens again from 9:30AM to 4:30PM. At 10:00AM there is a Board of Directors meeting at Fairchild Garden open to all IAS members.
The Hampton Inn Miami Dadeland (305-269-0072 or 1-800-Hampton) is now the best choice in show hotels. Located in a quiet spot behind the Dadeland Mall, it is a quick and easy drive to the gardens. They offer free parking, Wifi and breakfast. Competitive rates may be found online - don't forget to check the advance purchase rate on their website.
The Aloft Hotel Miami Dadeland has historically hosted many Aroiders. Remodeled just a year ago, Aroiders should be aware that they now charge $10/night for parking as befits their new coat of paint.
The Tyson Dorm at the Kampong often has a limited number of beds available, and free WiFi. Reservations are first come, first served and they can accommodate up to 12 people.
Please plan to attend the International Aroid Society's Annual Show and Sale. It's a great opportunity not only to pick up some nice plants but to meet people in the aroid community.
If you have any questions about the IAS Show and Sale, please contact Albert Huntington.