IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron xanadu
From: Don Burns <burns at mobot.mobot.org> on 1999.03.21 at 03:28:34(3125)
> Could someone tell me more about Philodendron
> xanadu? I understand it is a patented cultivar.

Diana

Beginning last October or November Aroid-L hosted a rather spirited
discussion about this plant. Check out the Aroid-L archives if you have
not already, and search by subject. The list is archived on the web at

Don

+More
From: Eric Schmidt <leu242 at yahoo.com> on 2009.09.01 at 18:12:02(19890)
We have some mass plantings of Philodendron xanadu here at Leu Gardens growing under bright filtered shade. Some of the stems now are reaching 3-4ft tall. I haven't noticed any flowering yet. Heres a couple photos. The second one is nearly 4ft tall.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/Leu51/Aroids/?action=view¤t=img_2018.jpg

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/Leu51/Aroids/?action=view¤t=img_2020.jpg

Eric

+More
From: ARLENE & RONALD DR KESSLER <ronlene at bellsouth.net> on 2009.09.01 at 19:25:27(19891)
Here in south Florida, the xanadu always will grow over four feet tall if not trimmed down, but it recovers well after pruning. Ron

To: Discussion of aroids

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2009.09.01 at 20:38:20(19898)
Dear Eric,

Aloha.

At this larger size, it is interesting that your plants still retain the small leaf blade typical of younger plants. As the tissue cultured plants outgrow the chemical cocktails, the blades widen and the lateral lobes and the back lobes develop more fully. The general size of the blades also increase by two or three times. As far as blooming, it has been noticed that most male flowers shed very little pollen. I do not know if the receptivity of the female flowers are affected by the tissue culture process, but, this is also a possibility. I have not heard of any Philodendron xanadu hybrids from the tissue cultured plants.

Aloha,

Leland

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.