IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Monstera deliciosa
From: Eric Schmidt <cbl451 at bellsouth.net> on 1999.04.07 at 13:07:56(3242)
Are there two different forms of Monstera deliciosa? I've noticed two
types; one with the normaly huge leaves and a moderate rate of growth up
a tree and another with leaves about half the size but is a rapid
climber. Anyone with any thoughts?

Eric Schmidt

+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at email.msn.com> on 1999.04.08 at 13:51:32(3249)
>Are there two different forms of Monstera deliciosa? I've noticed two
types; one with the normaly huge leaves and a moderate rate of growth up
a tree and another with leaves about half the size but is a rapid
climber. Anyone with any thoughts?<

Eric Schmidt

+More
In a message dated 4/8/99 6:51:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

> Yes, there are at least three var.`s of Monstera deliciosa around here, the

+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at email.msn.com> on 1999.04.08 at 21:22:39(3251)
In a message dated 4/8/99 6:51:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

> Yes, there are at least three var.`s of Monstera deliciosa around here,

+More
As I understand it, the smaller variety of M. deliciosa is called variety
Borsigniana (excuse my spelling). However, there are many varieties. I once
had a variety collected in Mexico, which had a leaf size somewhere between
the large and the small, but less perforations and cuts. Of course there is
the "rumored" sport in Canada, which is red and white.

Dave

From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.07.01 at 06:49:08(18026)
I have to offer a big apology! I just discovered this evening I have totally lost most of the information I collected over the past year on Monstera delicosa Liebm. That information was valuable to me since I received major help with input from several sources! Even my notes from Dr. Croat cannot be located regarding his collections in Mexico and Central America. I have no explanation.

I found a server error almost two months ago where 3 pages totally vanished off the net but I have no indication that is what happened this time since the base page was still on my end of the server, just seriously incomplete and inaccurate. It appears the page reverted back to something I wrote almost 2 years ago!

If any of you read that page as a result of my recent post on Aroid l with the link, please forgive the confusing information. I last updated the page as a result of that discussion.

I will be spending much of the day on Tuesday trying to rebuild as much as possible from TROPICOS, IPNI and credible sources. The page is just not there! I can't even find most of the saved material under M. delicosa on a second hard drive where I save all the website pages!

And thanks Pete for your note tonight about "pertusum". That is what caused me to find the error! This time I'll save it to a CD rom!

Steve Lucas

+More
From: botanist at malesiana.com (Peter Boyce) on 2008.07.01 at 22:30:25(18041)
Hi Steve,

I have done things like this more times hat I care to remember; Sin Yeng now says to me.... "are you SURE you have save it..."with a slightly despairign air.

With pen-drives (aka memory sticks, flash-drives, etc.) SO cheap here (4 gig is less than 10US; 8 gig are about 25US$) I am takign to saving important things on those, keeping them labelled.

I am off to Thailand for a few days Flora Thailand Araceae / Thai aroid handbook work. Will be back on aroid-l late this Saturday.

Pete

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.07.02 at 13:52:42(18047)
I had to dig and dig but I finally found most of the pieces. I put it back together in some for or another and Russ Hammer helped last night to try to make sense out of my mess of words. The page is back up this morning but isn't in the exact form I originally had planned. I did use one of your quotes Pete to try to make a point as to why some folks confuse Monstera and Rhaphidophora. It dawned on me this morning I left out the part about Monstera deliciosa having been the first plant featured on a cover of Aroideana, so I've got a little more work to do!

This one is now saved in 5 places! But finding something gone and not being able to figure out why is frustrating!

Steve

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.