IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Titan Watch 8/25/99
From: "Craig M. Allen" cm_allen at yahoo.com> on 1999.08.26 at 13:32:11(3598)
I finished the Amorphophallus titanum display at noon, just in time for the photographer from the Miami Herald to take pictures. Hopefully we will make the morning paper.

Tomorrow the display opens to the public. The t-shirts should be here in the morning, note cards and mouse pads soon.

The plant grew another 5" since it was measured yesterday. It is now 53.25"

Fairchild's web site:
http://www.ftg.org
should be updated by now, with the new measurements and photos of the display. The Garden is still searching for someone who might do time lapse photography for us.

On a sad note, the bloom on the Amorphophallus gigas did not survive the move to the auditorium. The tremendous storm we had 2 days ago must have damaged the 116" inflorescence. It snapped off at the top of the bulb as soon as its pot was moved.

Thank heavens the A. titanum made it. It was not easy to move. I had help from 5 of our our Gardeners. It was slowly wheeled up to the display location by hand. I worried over every bump in the road, only to find that it wouldn't fit through the auditorium door. We had to tip the pot, which is huge. I was so afraid that it might have met the fate of the A. gigas, but it cleared, and so did my stomach knots.

Don and Terri Blechman owners of Landscape Lighting by Outdoor Gardens, Inc. donated halogen track lighting to help light the display. It was being installed as I finished up the display. Now it really looks beautiful in it's lanscaped setting. "Stinky Plant" is ready for it's Grand Opening.

Craig M. Allen

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.