IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Long growing season?
From: "Susan Cooper" SCooper at cooperpower.com> on 2001.02.23 at 14:42:44(5975)
Speaking of getting ready for spring and planting/checking on our tubers, some of my Amorphophallus never died back this fall. I have A. albispathus (Is that the same as albus??), excentricus, and prainii all still looking perky. These all came from MOBOT. Two dracontiums I got from Wilbert (thanks, I still owe you!) didn't sprout until Nov-Dec and just put up a second leaf the beginning of February.

Last year everything (including these three) had died back before November.

These must fall in the category of temperate aroids, my house is pretty cold. Or maybe they last longer as the tubers are older?

In any case, I enjoy looking at the growing plants more than the tubers pouting in the basement. I know we are all getting anxious for spring!
Susan

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter at worldonline.nl> on 2001.02.23 at 19:43:14(5979)
Amorphophallus albus and albispathus are NOT the same species. A. albus is a
depressed-globose-tubered one from China (see Aroideana 19, front and back
cover) and A. albispathus is a long-tubered species from Thailand, smelling
of anise, when flowering!

Wilbert

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.