IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amorphophallus seed germination
From: "Petra Schmidt" petra at plantdelights.com> on 2001.09.10 at 22:22:53(7444)
This is the quickest turn-around from seed to seedlings I've ever
experienced...comments please?

Amorphophallus konjac:
2 June 01 seed harvested, cleaned and sown
16 June 01 seed germinates
3 Aug. 01 seedlings transplanted
10 Sept. 01 seedlings are 15 cm tall with robust petioles and ready to
transplant to individual pots

Amorphophallus swynnertonii:
8 Aug. 01 seeds cleaned and sown
20 Aug. 01 seeds germinate
10 Sept. 01 seedlings are 9 cm tall with robust petioles and ready to
transplant to individual pots

Petra Schmidt

+More
From: "Cooper, Susan L." SLCooper at scj.com> on 2001.09.11 at 15:38:21(7453)
Comments of jealousy perhaps? Yes.
Sounds just like the Tacca. The faster you sow the seeds the better?
Susan

+More
From: mburack at mindspring.com on 2001.09.11 at 15:39:13(7454)
I guess I am lucky....they really are always about the same for me... I soak seeds (all) in a solution of GA3, superthrive and burnt paper.....(although I am not sure if any of it is neces.)

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> This is the quickest turn-around from seed to seedlings I've ever

+More
From: "Cooper, Susan L." SLCooper at scj.com> on 2001.09.11 at 19:47:58(7460)
Burnt paper????
Susan

+More
From: mburack at mindspring.com on 2001.09.11 at 21:52:02(7463)
I started doing it a long time ago based on the so-called fact that some seeds "need" or benefit by the chemical reaction of "burning" to cause seed germination.

Companies sell things such as "smoke seed primer" which is nothing more than a paper disk which is soaked and releases "chemicals" mimicing burning.

It is my belief that if you burn a piece of paper and soak the ash in water, you will accomplish the same "thing".

I have read that certain chemicals produced during burning act similar to gibberilic acid, in that they dont actually "make a seed sprout", but more correctly, interfere with the natural chemicals that "prevent" them from sprouting.

Am I right??? Who knows.....?

Marc

+More
From: magrysbo at shu.edu on 2001.09.13 at 02:47:12(7475)
Amorphs from habitats with seasonal fires? Many fire adapted species use
this mechanism.
BWM

+More
From: garbird at bellsouth.net> on 2005.11.11 at 22:12:02(13532)
I was wondering if anyone can give me information on germination of seeds of Amorphophallus decus-silvae and A. kuisianus? The decus-silvae have germinated, but I was wondering about how long it will be before a leaf is formed. I took a peek to see if they had rotted and the one I saw was about a quarter inch long with three visible roots starting to emerge from it's sides.The others were not disturbed. They are kept at a constant temperature of 82 degrees F. , if that makes a difference with the developement, or if they would be better off at another temp. please lmk. Any info would be welcome. This is my first experience with these and am curious about how they will develope. Thanks, Garland Bird

+More
From: Fborrie at aol.com on 2005.11.13 at 00:09:57(13535)
Aye Garland

As you ?re an new infected Aroid - Lover, believe me, there is nothing
"unbelievable" in whats up to Aroids!
-Frank -

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.