IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

It's everwhere)
From: Piabinha at aol.com on 2001.10.09 at 21:31:44(7593)
hey, don, i can't believe you have not seen these candies/jellies. they are everywhere in many large cities, you can find them in groceries. they are basically small jelly cups with a fruit cube in the middle. it's made of the A. konjac flour, plus other stuff like coconut gel, i guess. i guess there is a danger for small kids for choking on the whole thing, they are smaller than most toys.

it's amazing how paranoid and lawsuit-conscious we have become as a nation. soon enough there'll be very little that is allowable because there is an inherent danger in every facet of life...

incidentally, i was at my mom's for dinner last week. among the dishes she prepared, there were deep-fried taro cubes (served with a soy-sauce and garlic dipping sauce) and fried konnyaku with asparagus and other veggies.

does anyone know the etymology of konjac/konnyaku? what's the origin of the word? does it come from the japanese or is the japanese word derivative of it? is this plant native to japan only?

tsuh yang chen, NYC USA

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter at worldonline.nl> on 2001.10.10 at 23:50:22(7610)
Aaaaah, finally I can hit again:

The name Konnyaku IS Japanese, and I'll be darned if I know what it means.
The name was introduced into Europe when Von Siebold brought the first
tubers of this plant back from Japan into the Leiden Botanical Garden and he
baptised them Arisaema konjac. That's how it all started.....

Lord P.

+More
From: Piabinha at aol.com on 2001.10.11 at 03:56:20(7615)
In a message dated 10/10/2001 7:51:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hetter@worldonline.nl writes:

Aaaaah, finally I can hit again:

The name Konnyaku IS Japanese, and I'll be darned if I know what it means.
The name was introduced into Europe when Von Siebold brought the first
tubers of this plant back from Japan into the Leiden Botanical Garden and he
baptised them Arisaema konjac. That's how it all started.....

and is this plant ONLY native to japan?

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orchidspecies

In a message dated Wed, 10 Oct 2001 7:51:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Wilbert Hetterscheid" writes:

> Aaaaah, finally I can hit again:
>
> The name Konnyaku IS Japanese, and I'll be darned if I know what it means.

What does the English word "oak" mean? It is simply the name of a plant, and needs no other meaning!

Jason Hernandez

+More
From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter at worldonline.nl> on 2001.10.11 at 21:43:25(7625)
Nonono, it is NOT native to japan at all!! I didn't say
that. It is cultivated since ages in Japan and Von Sieboldt brought tubers
that's all. Am. konjac is probably native to China (but has also escaped from
cultivation there) and possibly in Vietnam. The problem is that the species has
been travelling with humans a lot. Hell, there is even a clone derived from a
plant found in Sabah (near Kota Kinabalu). Go figure!!

Lord

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.