IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amorphophallus gigas
From: Taylor Hyndman thyndman at earthlink.net> on 2002.04.09 at 03:31:47(8501)
Does anybody have any tips and growing media and conditions on how to grow
A. gigas? I would really appreciate it if anybody can give me information!
And also what to do with it in the winter? (Store dry, leave in pot, water
or what?)

+More
From: "Craig Allen" callen at fairchildgarden.org> on 2003.04.09 at 15:25:19(10088)
I got out my tape measure this morning to measure the blooming Amorphophallus gigas. This morning the inflorescence reached 9' and isn't ready to bloom yet. The peduncle (inflorescence stalk) is 19" in circumference at ground level. This baby will release it's odor for a week. Waiting for the big stink!

I have another one that is up about 9" this morning, and still another smaller plant that is about to unfurl a leaf.

Amorphophallus titanum: 'Mr. Stinky' is up at about 6". The growth is very fat compared to 'Alice the Amorphophallus' which is about the same height, but a very slender and tapered. I'm wondering if that indicates 'Mr. Stinky' is about to bloom, though I wish they both would so one would be easy to pollinate.

Craig M. Allen

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.