> Your Source for Tropical Araceae|
> go to
Dewey, all photos on your web site load into Netscape 4.79 under Unix as a
binary gobbledygook. The only way to view them is to download them to my
hard disk, rename the file by adding appropriate extension, and load the
downloaded image. Way too much work. Incidentally, Netscape's behavior
is consistent with the HTTP protocol, since the photos are sent out by the
earthlink's server as text/plain (it should be sent as image/jpeg), which
tells the browser to display it as 8-bit text.
You are probably using Micro$oft Exploder, the behavior of which is not
consistent with the standards and happens to load the photos OK, but a
lot of people use other browsers, and will find your site barely usable.
To be correctly recognized by all browsers, the photos should have the
extension .JPG or .JPEG and, preferably, should have no white space in the
file names. For example, the file storing the image of Alocasia
clypeolata is named:
(quotes above are only to show the trailing space in the file name). It
This will require renaming of all image files, and fixing all hyperlinks
in the main index...
PS: I made the exact same mistake years ago when I set up my pages for the
"Micro$oft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking"